9.19.2008

Why Ethiopia?

“How did you choose Ethiopia?”  This is one of the first questions that we are asked when people find out we are adopting.  Here are some of the reasons we have chosen Ethiopia. 

*There are approximately 6 million orphans

*Less than 1% of foreign orphans will ever be adopted

*One out of every 20 children born alive die in their first month of life

*One in 6 children die before their fifth birthday.

*One in 10 children die before their first birthday.

*82% of the population survives on less than 1 dollar a day

*Only 24% of households have access to safe drinking water

*Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000

*About 72% of school age children have no access to formal education

*55% of Ethiopian children under the age of five are stunted due to malnutrition.

*Most importantly - Ethiopia is where God has called us, our children are there! 

 

4 comments:

ccaserta said...

Hey Matt,
We don't know each other but since I have also been adopted into God's family that makes me your brother. I will be praying for God's will in your family and I will be praying for wisdom as God leads you down the path of fatherhood. It is apparent that you and your wife have a heart for the things of God and because of that...He will bless you in all things according to His will.
My name is Chris and I live in Clinton, TN. I will continue to keep you guys in my prayers and will be anxiously waiting for the next update on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I cried just reading that! Dave and I have been talking about adopting and you have opened our eyes to a whole new world that we would have never considered!

Thank you, we look foward to watching you two walk this path together.

Tiffany Travis Sexton said...

Matt and Jessica,

We are so excited for your journey! We are finishing our home study next week, and we will be trying domestic first, unless Guatemala opens up! I know the road of infertility is brutal, but God does have children for you. I can't wait to meet them! We will walk this new road together. . .

In His Hands,
Tiffany

Will J said...

We need some more updates and posts!!! :) We're pumped for you guys...Uncle Will & Aunt Beth are ready to hang out with you 4. Love you guys.