10.18.2008

October Frenzy!

October has always been a crazy month for my family. This one has been no different. We always kick off the month by celebrating my dad’s birthday (the 2nd). As you know, the triathlon was the 5th. I had the privilege of going home the following weekend for a wonderful time with family and friends. Since I was in high school, mom and I have done the Race for the Cure together. It is something I look forward to every October. We always meet up with a dear friend of ours, do the race, and then head to Cracker Barrel for a delicious breakfast! My great friend Honna joined us this year as well, which I hope will become part of the race tradition (hint hint, Honna)!

After the race this year, we were able to host another one of our October traditions at mom and dad’s, the annual Soup and Pie Party. It originally started as a way for us to celebrate October birthdays because so many of us have them! Everyone who comes to the party brings a soup, a pie, and a pumpkin. We fill our bellies full of goodness and carve pumpkins for prizes! It is the perfect way to celebrate fall! I just love this time of year!

This trip home was very special for another reason as well. Remember my mention in a previous post about a lady we had never met sending us support money for the adoption? Well, I had the privilege of meeting Lisa during my trip home! We had a quick but wonderful lunch before I headed back to Louisville. It was so great to meet Lisa and hear her heart! I am so excited to see what the Lord is going to do in her life as she too is seeking the Lord’s will about adoption.

Fast forward through a week of sleepless nights writing report cards…

On the 16th of this month our dear friends, the Benges, welcomed their precious son Maddox into the world. Maddox was born a couple of weeks early but is healthy and beautiful! We were blessed to spend some time with them the day he was born and loved every minute of it! There is something so sweet about a fresh baby!

On the 17th we celebrated my birthday! The night before, Matt sent me on a scavenger hunt through the house to find my gift. It was very cute and well thought out! He did a great job planning! After solving some of his riddles, I found my gift… a trip to the spa! I was SO excited!!! I was totally not expecting anything. In fact, the week before the triathlon I had to buy a couple of things for the race and just wrapped them up and put a card on them which said “to me from Matt!” But his gift to the spa totally makes up for him forgetting my birthday 2 years ago! (Ok, he really didn’t forget, he just didn’t say anything about it when he first woke up!) J For dinner we went to an authentic Ethiopian restaurant! It was amazing!!! We ate family style with no utensils! We had beef, lamb, chicken and tilapia. Fabulous! (Except for the poor lamb, I couldn’t bring myself to eat a sweet little lamb!) We will definitely be going back! I can’t wait to learn how to cook some of what we had to eat for our children when they come home! The birthday night ended with friends at our place and cake from the Pie Kitchen (or Package Inn as some think I say)! Our lifelong friends Nick and Allison are up for a wedding and staying with us which made the night even more special! Thank you to all who made my birthday so memorable! Twenty-seven is good!



Well, the second half of the month looks a little more relaxed than the first! Mom’s birthday is the 22nd and things are pretty calm after that. Because we have been so busy, we haven’t had much time to work on our paper work for the adoption. My hope is that we can get started on that very soon. We have been accepted by our agency and are now collecting official documents for our dossier. After collecting our dossier, we will get it sealed in our county, in Frankfort, KY and in D.C. Lots to do, but so worth it!!!

3 comments:

Micah, Tiffany, Andrew, Elijah, Isaac, Eliana, and Isabella said...

OK- we are obviously blogger inept! Glad to be able to follow the Briggs family.

Futurebaby Stone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Futurebaby Stone said...

Jessica! I had no idea of your plans. Way to begin the amazing process of expanding your family. I am so excited for you two. I'll be keeping you in my prayers little lady.